Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'm back...

It's been close to a year since I last blogged.  I admit that I haven't been following Dracut politics all that closely as of late but there are some things that worry me about our fair town.  Some months ago my father asked what was going on in Dracut, there was so much negative news coming out (this was around the time the Mike McLaughlin thing hit as well as something else which I cannot recall)

1. Three small businesses have closed or are closing recently - the Book Vendor, Little Trends, and the hair salon across from Hannaford. 

2. L'affair McLaughlin has shined some light on the old "Somerville with Trees" reputation we once had (have?)

3. There was a shooting outside Hannaford today.  A shooting!

4. Some of our political leaders seem more interested in politics and one upping each other than in working to improve Dracut.  There doesn't seem to be a a lot of "big picture" thinking or dreaming going on. 

5. Our superintendent is looking to leave after less than 2 years on the job. 

I love my adopted hometown and plan on staying here for the rest of my life.  My wife and I just bought a home over off Methuen Street so we're in this for the long haul.  Thus, I want to be a part of the solutions and conversations that help make Dracut better than it is today.  We have a great town and great people but like any city or town, we can improve.  Certainly some things are out of our control - the national economy is still recovering, the town budget is beholden to the shrinking state budget, etc. 

I have no idea the direction this blog will go but like before, it will center around Dracut, politics, the economy, schools, etc.  Just stay tuned, it should be fun.

No comments: